Monday, March 2, 2020

America, We Need a Better Primary Process

Let me make one thing perfectly clear (quoting Bernie Sanders), I am an Independent voter!

My leanings are libertarian and I'm getting more conservative the older I get. Usually, I'm not very engaged during elections. I listen to the news, read what people post on social media and make up my own mind. I don't want to talk politics here, but I want to talk about our political apparatus.

Our primary system of scheduling some states voting ahead of others is just crazy! The six states with the most electors are California (55), Texas (38), New York (29), Florida (29), Illinois (20), and Pennsylvania (20). Then, tomorrow is Super Tuesday and fourteen state primaries and the American Samoa caucuses will take place, amounting to 1357 pledged delegates—33.8% of the nationwide total. In other words, it could be over tomorrow night (or when all the votes are counted) and the blue candidate will be known.

But what about the rest of us who didn't yet cast our votes? Our choices aren't going to matter. This is wrong morally and constitutionally.

So, I am proposing the following change to be followed by BOTH parties. This arrangement gives every voter a fair chance to have their vote count. It also would put less pressure on the candidates, who are running all over the country doing town halls and far too many debates, costing them money and their health. Let them save their energy for the race that really matters - the general election!

Here is my proposal:

1) Divide the country and territories into regional voting blocks - I think 6 is a good number

2) Hold voting within all the territories on the same day - so you get a more pure outcome

3) Give campaigns 45 days to take stock of the 1st vote results and decide if they continue

4) Hold a second primary with those left in the race

5) Winner goes to the convention - if its still close, let the convention decide

Now, I know this is a sound proposal that would work except for one thing - Politics! Our political parties do not want this to be a fair process. They want us to think it is, but it is not. There is too much money and power at stake to change anything. But I need to ask, when is enough enough? Every cycle things get worse.
So, this pop-eyed optimist hopes there is a chance to bring sanity into our election process.

No comments: