Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Forgiveness is Food for the Soul

Came across a meme today that stated...

Today I decided to forgive you. 
Not because you apologized, or because you acknowledge the pain that you caused me, but because my soul deserves peace.

How true this is!

I've always known I have a soul. I've felt it all my life. I'm connected with my soul, making me a compassionate and empathetic person.

I've been blessed to have very few people actually hurt me. And, being human, I've carried ill feelings toward those people. That is until I gave it up to allow God or the universe or whatever power levels out the negative and positive energy surrounding every living being.

But, there was one person I found difficult to release my negativity toward. The general attitude toward this guy by those who encountered him is negative. People who witnessed what he did to me reassured me his actions were unfair, unwarranted, and overall unpleasant to the organization, not just to me. So the flames of malcontent toward this person kept my own negativity alive and well. And festering for years.

A few months ago I ran into this fellow at an industry meeting. My immediate reaction was negative as all the old feelings zoomed to the surface (I hadn't seen him since the personal incident.) But, I noticed I was sitting slightly behind him. It seemed he was uncomfortable, and I assumed it was because of seeing me.

So, I decided it was time to let this go.

At the next break, I went over and extended my hand to him.

With a moment's hesitation, he took it.

Niceties were exchanged and we parted.

I felt so much better. The Bogyman was let out of the cage and what was left was just another person. Fascinatingly, after we did this, he was much more relaxed as he listened from his seat. Clearly, my perception that I was making him uncomfortable wasn't wrong. And, now we both had peace.

Peace.

The ultimate reward.

No comments: