Friday, February 14, 2020

Spring is Coming, but Where are We Headed?

We are now in the part of the annual cycle that gets me really excited... the days are getting longer and I feel my energy growing too.

Starting every mid-February, the mornings are lighter and the evenings come later, and I am so happy. Yes, there are still cold days ahead. Yes, we could still get snow. But, Spring is definitely on its way.

I live in the mid-Atlantic region and we have, so far, been spared the worst wintry weather. It's been too mild and I know we will pay later with increased bugs. We may still lose buds on the trees and sprouting bulbs that are poking their way through the ground that never really froze this winter. But, the chances diminish with every day that passes.

But my excitement only goes so far.

I am fearful about humans surviving extreme weather changes that are bound to come. It confounds me that people are more greedy and lazy than willing to do what is necessary to stave-off eventual disaster. I guess people aren't as smart as we like to think we are.

I've seen articles stating we only have 10 years left before the really extreme events start... but aren't we seeing them already? So far in 2020, there have been 1,492 earthquakes of magnitude 6 or above. As of January 14th, the Australian bush fire has burnt an estimated 46 million acres -- that is 72,000 square miles -- and has destroyed nearly 6,000 buildings and has killed at least 34 people.

Every day I pray for someone to do something that wakes up the masses and gets us to seriously confront our possible demise.

Oh, Greta is trying and I love her for it.

Perhaps in the ultimate scheme of things, human beings aren't going to survive, but Earth does and paradise is restored.

Hmmm

No comments: