Sunday, March 22, 2020

Coronovirus Challenges & Burdens - YOU can Help!

In this age of the Coronovirus it's important to keep things in perspective. But, it's even more important to put attention and energy into helping others so they can withstand the isolation, withdrawal and separation from life as we knew it before the pandemic hit.

You can feel like you're on house arrest or you can look at being home as a time for yourself. I know I'm always the last person I take time for. Now that things are slowed down and we are restricted from going out and about, it's all about taking care of you and your loved ones. But, there's positives about this situation too, and one doesn't need to look hard to find ways to turn this negative into an opportunity to do good.

It's not lost on me how difficult it is for parents right now trying to keep their children safe, healthy and occupied while schools and childcare are closed. At this point in my life my kids don't live with me. In some ways I wish they were here so I could make certain they are doing all the right things to stay safe and healthy. But, I also know we gave them all the tools they need to be responsible adults. And, we keep in touch so I know they're alright. I feel compassion for people who now find themselves needing to simultaneously fill the role of parent, teacher, recreation director and social worker for their house-bound children.

Our parents all passed away in 2018. Forgive me for thinking this, but I'm glad they are not being subjected to dealing with the coronovirus. This situation would have been very difficult on them and its a relief on us to not be dealing with it. I feel such compassion for people who do have elderly people they need to care for in these trying times.

The people who I have the most concern for are the health care professionals who are on the front lines dealing with the sick. My daughter works at a hospital and isn't having to provide care of the sick, so she is helping raise funds to provide those who are sick or helping care for the sick with comforts they can't get while quarantined at the hospitals. We need to find ways to support these people as they are away from their families and loved ones, to boaster them in any way we can to keep them from collapsing under the weight of their burdens. Small things can make a big difference. For example, yesterday we ordered cases of individual packages of crayons to give isolated patients and care workers so they can fill their time coloring instead of looking at the walls.  The hospital is printing coloring pages to give out. My daughter started an effort to collect donated tablets to lend to patients without their own smartphones so they can facetime or email with loved ones while in isolation units. These are just a couple samples of little things that will mean a lot in this crisis.

Imagine how much good we can do from the safety of our homes!  So I'm urging everyone to check with your local charities and other sources to see how you can help support the sick and those who care for them. We also need to look out for the homeless, those who are helpless and those who are hopeless. A phone call to check on them goes a long way to life someone's spirits. A surprise gift showing up is a great way to create cheer and even inspire others to pay-it-forward. I believe humans have great desire to do good. Tapping into the good each of us can provide to someone who needs it is a real way to create change and help us all make it through this crisis.

No comments: