Friday, May 16, 2008

There are Simple, Simply Too Many Selfish Folk Out Here

People have forgotten how to be civil to each other. This is really quite Simple, Simple to do. Yet, every day I see more examples of how we fail to treat others with respect.

For example; this morning I decided to go to McDonald's to get a visiting friend of my son's a bagel breakfast sandwich. I'm waiting my turn in the drive through line and another driver comes in the back entrance of the parking lot. She then positions her car to enter the line in front of me, who has been waiting in line patiently.

Now, here's my dilemma. Should I let her in front of me - a head of all the other cars patiently waiting their turn - or do I tell her to get in line like the rest of us?

Well, being sick and tired of these "special" folks always ignoring the principals of good behavior, I indicate to her I'm not letting her in. She rolls down the window and yells to me that she's been waiting to get in the line for two cars now.

So, how is that my problem? I too have been waiting my turn - and, I've been doing it in line the correct way. So, I roll down my window and tell her she should get in line like the rest of us.

Now, I appreciate your patience as I recount this sordid tale of immaturity, but here is the punch line...

She says "I don't have to!"

I have to be honest and tell you that I was floored by this response. And, I am also delighted by it!

For awhile now I have been certain that the root cause of all the discourteous behavior I have witnessed is due to people thinking they are BETTER THAN EVERYONE ELSE. And, BINGO! This woman proves my hypotheses.

So what, you might ask. Well, since society is based on people following rules to ensure we all can get along together and be safe living together, this is very disconcerting. What I don't yet have figured out is what to do about this type person. When encountering someone who is only concerned about their own welfare and desires at the expense of others -- a.k.a. breaking the societal rules -- how should one respond? I am pondering this question with much energy. Because my gut reaction is to do violence toward them. They make me very very angry. And, anger shuts off logic and reason, which are essential to maintaining peace and order.

Sometimes I get very afraid because discourteous folk seem to be gaining ground... watch out and please don't be like them. You are NOT better than the people around you and when you act like you are, life gets even more unpleasant than it already is -- for everyone. Including you, you selfish ungrateful delusional idiot.

(Ah, that feels better...)

No comments: