Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day - Happy Holiday - Not!

It's the Memorial Day national holiday and I don't want to be remiss and not give the proper greeting. But, as this is a day of reflection on the sacrifice of others on our behalf, I am sure it is not right to say "Happy Memorial Day."

Yet, that's what people say. Probably because they are happy not to go to work. But, let's not mix our personal pleasure with national perspective.

Memorial Day here in the Nation's Capitol is filled with people remembering our fallen heroes and those who have served in the military past and present. "Rolling Thunder" is here this weekend and it's hard to miss them as they roar through our streets. I applaud them and always give them the high sign as they pass by. It's been a long time now since the Vietnam War ended and we should never forget. Oops - I guess our country's leaders did or they wouldn't have gotten us into another similar situation. None-the-less, we still have unaccounted for and missing service men from that engagement and until those families can put Vietnam to rest, I agree we should not forget our MIA's.

My Dad served in the Korean conflict - it wasn't a real war technically. He was proud of this and was entitled to a military burial when he passed away. Today, there is an American flag fluttering above his grave at Annapolis' military cemetery and he'd like that. And, I feel good knowing he got his final wish to be laid to rest there.

I'm not so sure that the kids serving in the two wars we're currently engaged in will get to feel as good about their service in the final chapter of their lives. They are brave and I commend them for their willingness to serve. I have difficulty with equating their service with being "for our country." Sorry, but I'm being honest. It feels more like service for "Bush's and Chaney's companies."

I try really hard not to be political in my writings - mostly because I'm the first to admit that I'm less informed than I could (and should) be. I try to remain in firmly rooted in the middle and to keep things as simple as possible. Hence, the theme of this blog. Any student of history -- or even any student, period -- could have predicted going to war in the Middle East is a bad idea.

On this Memorial Day, I hope all American's will stop picnicking long enough to ponder the purpose of this day and to think about how their voting choices in November will influence the end of today's wars. The next President, and even more so the next Congress, will affect how long these wars continue, how long our country will continue to invest money and lives in other country's conflicts, and how soon we bring this all to resolution - whether a happy resolution or otherwise is also dependent on election choices facing us.

This is a very important Memorial Day!

No comments: