Saturday, May 3, 2008

It's Simple, Simply Not All About YOU!

People are rude.

People are selfish.

People are lacking in fundamental qualities that are the fabric of a functioning society.

OMG - I sound like my parents!

Unfortunately, this stuff is true...

Societies are formed when people come together for the common good - when they come together around a set of shared ideals and goals for which they all join forces to make happen. When individuals begin to care only about themselves and feel no connection with the others around them, you can KISS that group good-bye.

When people only care about their own welfare, they:

  • Will abandon the weak who have nothing to give,
  • Will neglect their responsibilities to the whole society which only create rules, which are barriers and there to be broken and/or ignored,
  • Will worship things instead of ideals,
  • Will barge through crowds who get in their way,
  • Will develop a disrespect for life (since other people only get in their way),
  • etc.
Can this be fixed?

I really would like to believe in the inherent goodness of my fellow men and women. But, lately I've been completely dismayed by the actions I've observed taken by people toward me and others. I guess there have always been selfish people around, but never in this massive presence. I don't think this is a good trend.

Someone once said "things have got to get worse before they get better." Who was that moron? Perhaps I've got the quote wrong, but if this sentiment is correct, we're well on our way to witnessing a major attitude correction. Perhaps the Mayan prediction will come true on December 21, 2012 and we'll wake to a whole new world where everyone is kind and considerate of their fellows. How simple, simple. I can't wait!

No comments: