Saturday, May 24, 2008

Blink, Blink, Blink - Dah

It's so very simple, simple. That lever next to the steering wheel that helps you indicate which direction you are going to turn. It's called your "turn signal indicator" or "blinker" for us simple, simple minded folks.

Perhaps I'm overly simplifying here, but the use or non-use of this delightfully simple mechanism at best saves lives. At least, saves frustration. Either way, it's a great device. And, it's virtually free! (Using it only costs you a couple calories at the most to push the lever up or down.) If it's that easy, why don't people use their blinkers?

If you really don't care about this line of thought, then I suggest you bear with me a bit because I do think I have a valid point to make. I think people don't blink because they are: a) lazy,
b) inconsiderate, and, c) distracted. These fundamental conditions are indications that we are in trouble. Once these conditions were considered to be the bane of our society. It was an insult to be called lazy, inconsiderate/rude/selfish, and, distracted/unfocused/addle brained. Today we accept these conditions as part of our normal behavior.

Wow - that floors me. Now, I know I'm sounding like an old foggie, but why would anyone want to be any of these things is beyond my comprehension. I think people really don't want to be this way. I think they are completely and blissfully ignorant to their condition. That's because nobody bothers to teach the fundamentals of societal responsibility these days. Those of us who lived before and/or through the social disorder of the late 60's and early 70's are familiar with these "rules of polite society" that have vanished in the past 30 years. Now, I felt at the time that many of these rules were silly and restrictive. But, the pendulum has swung way too far to the other extreme.

These silly, fundamental rules provide essential behavioral boundaries that become more important -- not less important -- as the population grows and grows and grows. With more limited personal space and overcrowded conditions -- especially on the roads and highways -- the only way people can coexist in harmony is by adhering to the rules of the game. Without such simple guidance, we're all out there playing our own private games and let the other fellow beware! (If you carry this thought to its conclusion, you can see that this ultimately results in no national or local identity, and that leads to worse things than bad driving...)

If you agree with this simple, simple theory then you will ask the next logical question; how can we move the pendulum back more to center? Basically, we have got to agree on a national and local level what constitutes proper behavior. (This ties into a sound and positive national and local sense of purpose and identity.) We are lucky to have perfectly honed and useful marketing channels to reach people at all levels of society. We need to stop rewarding behavior that's detrimental by ignoring the perpetrators. We need to stop ignoring people who are doing the right things.

There are pockets of activity such as this are already in action. For example there are billboards saying things like: Virgin is not a bad word - People who smoke get kissed less - PAUSE (a new campaign asking kids to take a couple seconds to think before they act).

I'd like to see similar focus on education and career development. Since when is it a bad thing to be a good student? If you can't revel in your academic success then why should students make the effort. Why is it okay to disrespect your teachers? Small wonder nobody wants to enter the teaching career these days. It's too hard and the pay is a national disgrace.

Here's where blinkers come in...

I'd like to see some tightening of our driving laws. I'd like to make every licensed driver retake the written driving test each time they renew their license - this would ensure drivers reread the driving manual at least once every few years. Perhaps their mental recall would improve when faced with a critical driving decision. I'd like to make it illegal to talk on a cell phone while driving. I prefer to not be killed by some idiot who wasn't looking where they were going. Four years ago my car was totaled by a woman driving an SUV and talking on her cell phone in rush-hour stop-and-go traffic on the Interstate highway. I was stopped and she happened to look up just as she drove through the trunk of my Camry. Yes, she said, "I looked up and I was in your trunk!" Need I say more?

And, I contend that if people HAD to use their blinkers, they would PAUSE to think about which direction they intended to go. That would be a really big help. All too often I see drivers backing up on the Interstate highway because they missed their exit. Or, drivers suddenly swerving across two or three lanes of traffic from the left lane to make a right turn. And, lastly drivers who continue to travel at top speeds off exit ramps, never turning their heads to check before barreling into on-coming traffic. It's dangerous out there - but, we can do something about it.

No comments: