Wednesday, October 27, 2021

When You're Jack

I'm a Jack of all trades sort of person. My various roles have taught me a lot which I'm able to apply to virtually any situation. Being this type was once really valuable, but is it holding true today?

Of course, nothing beats experience!

However, as I've become one of the older folks in the room I started noticing my input being dismissed "because things have changed." Yes, and the more things change, the more they stay the same is my reply.

I'm a problem solver. In order to fix a problem, you need to really understand the problem and look at it from all angles. How do you know you really have a problem? Is there a deviation from expectation? What's the proof that the problem is real? Why do we care about fixing this problem, what are its impacts and on whom? What are the causes, what's driving the problem? 

No problem is unique, even though everyone thinks their problem is. This is why having seen a lot of problems in many different environments and situations makes being Jack a really valuable thing. I have history, examples with solutions, credibility and expertise at solving similar problems. This skillset only comes with years of experience, you can't learn it in a classroom.

I'm proud of my battle scars. 

 

No comments: