Monday, October 4, 2021

The Blessings of Growing Older

In our culture, youth is celebrated, desired and prolonged. Everyone wants to be young or appear younger.

To my way of thinking, each decade of my life has presented opportunities and challenges. Looking backward, I see the building blocks I put in place so I could enjoy the benefits now that I'm older.

Frequently someone posts the question, "If you could go back to [whenever] in your life, would you?"

Most people respond with an exuberant "Yes!"  But, I truthfully would not want to go back. 

  • Going back would mean losing the experience and wisdom I'm amassed over time. 
  • Going back would mean I'd lose the wonderful relationships I now enjoy with my grown children, colleagues and friends.
  • Going back would mean needing to cover all the uphill progress I've made in my life so that I can now look forward to a life of relaxation and adventures.
George Bernard Shaw once wrote that “Youth is the most precious thing in life; it is too bad it has to be wasted on young folks.” If I could rephrase the question so that it asked, "If you could go back to [whenever] in your life while taking all your knowledge, learnings and earnings, would you?" I'd say "Yes, I would!" I'd love the chance for a redo knowing what I now know. Who wouldn't?
Since time travel isn't possible and this question is really annoying anyway, let's look at the blessings of growing older.
I feel I am in the perfect time of my life. Here are some reasons why.
  • My career is established and I'm recognized as a leader in my industry.
  • I was a successful parent, having produced two outstanding young adults who are happy and able to support themselves in careers they enjoy.
  • I have the flexibility to work from anywhere and I control my own schedule (mostly).
  • There is time in my life for hobbies and other interesting pursuits.
  • Financially, I am on solid ground thanks to careful planning and diligently saving for my future...which is now here!
  • I found my soul mate early on and we're still together! There's nothing better than sharing your life with someone who played a part in your history.
  • My health is still good! This is a significant factor in my feeling I'm blessed. Health is the one area where I'd make life changes earlier if I could travel aback in time.
  • I live in a safe and secure community.
My list could go on and on. I believe people tend to focus on what they don't have instead of what they do! Contentment is my goal at this point in life. I'm actualized!  In Maslow's hierarchy of needs, self-actualization is the highest level of psychological development, where personal potential is fully realized after basic bodily and ego needs have been fulfilled. 
Isn't this the real goal of life?
I think so.

No comments: