Tuesday, October 26, 2021

Valuable Commodity

Common Sense is what I'm talking about today. Common sense helps us make smarter choices. In order to reflect on the choices before you, you need to pause and think before you act! I think this is the root cause of many of our troubles today. People aren't taking time to consider choices before them and the consequences of their actions. But then, I may be giving people credit for caring about more than themselves. But let's assume people generally do care about others and that they do want to avoid problems.

This is where common sense comes in.

If you just react without taking time to consider conditions and think through the ramifications of all possible actions you could take, then you are basically throwing caution to the wind. Or are you? There are people who have developed strong intuition based on their life experience. For those who have this, I'd say that's common sense. It's everyone else to whom I say, please slow down and think about what you're about to do.

Acting is making a commitment to the result.

If you are prepared to take responsibility for the result, go for it! But, if you're not, who do you think will help you out if that action was ultimately a bad one?

I think, as a society, we've lost our ability to proactively consider the consequences of our actions. I learned in my life lessons that there is always a counteraction for every action. I've learned to think before I act to avoid bad things happening. This is an important life skill. One, I think too many people have been sheltered from learning by overprotective parents, overworked teachers, and over glorified role models whose hard work to get to where they are is never talked about.

Growing up I was told life is hard. It can be, especially if you don't have any common sense.

No comments: