Monday, April 30, 2012

I Love My Dad

Today is my father's 81st birthday. My father passed away when he was 64. Every April 30th I celebrate my father's life and I'm sharing this celebration here today.

My Dad was not your average bear, he was bigger than life!

Dad grew up very poor in Brooklyn's slums and as soon as he could he joined the Navy to see the world. His aptitude for math and typing skills landed him in Washington DC working at the Navy Yard. He then met my mother.

Dad was happy being a family man, but he carried his travel bug around inside him. When my parents separated -- a blessing that took several years for Dad to realize -- he was free to pursue his dreams. He became a travel agent and booked trips for his wealth friends, all of which earned him cruises on some of the finest ships of the time. Dad was in Heaven! It made me so happy to see him so happy!

Dad inherited genes for heart disease from his father, and he suffered his first major heart attack at age 36. At that time, the doctors gave him 10 years to live. Well, he lived 26 more and took to sometime extreme measures to make sure he was having a good time. Sometimes it worked out and sometimes it didn't. But, one thing was certain, Dad lived the second half of his life as he wanted.

In the last years of his life, Dad had grandchildren on whom he doated. I wish he was able to see how my 2 children favor him and are doing all the things Dad loved to do - fish, play golf, drive fast cars, and cook for friends!

I always say the world is much quieter without my father present - this is so true. Dad was not everyone's cup of tea, but they couldn't ignore him!

I love my Dad and cherish the relationship I had with him. Dad was the only person who loved me unconditionally. No matter what, he was always there for me, unjudging and loving. It's hard to write this part because I feel his loss so intently, even though it's been 16 years since he passed.

May God bless my father and keep him always, and grant him eternal peace. I think peace is what Dad wanted most and found it by living an unorthodox life.

No comments: