Monday, April 16, 2012

The Day Earth Got Quieter

This is the sixteenth anniversary of my father's death. Time has closed the open wound his unexpected passing created, but the gap in my life will never be filled. Dad was the one person who loved me unconditionally - okay, so did my dog, Happy, who only thought he was a person.

Every year on this date, I call my father's sister and we reminese about Dad and all the funny stuff he used to do, and then we'd talk about all the crazy things he did, and we'd laugh and cry. But, this year, my Aunt is suffering from demenia and doesn't remember what day it is today.

So, now I'm alone in remembering -- alone in spirit because I'm the only person who is mourning today for my Dad. On this date in 1996, a bright, loud and sparkling energy was distinguished and Earth grew a bit quieter. Tonight, I have nobody to talk with about Dad and I realize, Earth is quieter yet.

Is it our ultimate fate to have these connections erode over time until our names are never again mentioned?

Truthfully, this is why I drive to do something remarkable -- so I have something lasting to leave behind and my memory will last beyond the people who know me best.

RIP, Dad! Perhaps one's eternal peace comes when your name becomes unknown and forgotten. Sorry, Dad - -that's not happening, yet!

No comments: