Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Kids Never Listen!

Okay - my daughter has picked her college and it's not the one I think she should attend. So, is this my decision or hers? That is the question.

Given I'm paying, I have a vested interest in the outcome of this decision. My choice for her is the school that best (in my opinion) prepares her for a future career. My choice school also is located in an urban setting where I know she won't get bored and will have many new opportunities.

So, why did she pick a dinky, liberal arts college in a country locale to study English, her native tongue? Because it's safe and cozy feeling after months of being stressed out by her high school college counselors. Argh.

It was also the advice of these professional college advisors that my child would fit best in this setting. What do they know? They don't know much about her except her grades and SAT scores. Frankly, if I had the chance, I'd put my foot up their you-know-whats for butting into matters where I don't think they belong.

As the biggest fan of my daughter's, I think my assessment of her talents, dreams and desires are much more on point that that of practical strangers. But, it's them she listened to. And, I'm pretty distressed about this. Why? Because I do not think it is okay to be mediocre. And, this is a pretty mediocre school as far as I can tell.

Okay, it's nationally ranked by U.S. News and World Report - as a liberal arts college. That's not much to go on. This only makes it better than all the rest of the dinky schools that didn't get ranked. I must stop now because I'm about to go on a rant and it's a waste of my time and yours. The deal is cut, the check is mailed, and I've got to accept the fact that my child is going to spend 4 years there.

But, I don't like it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Susan,
My son chose Trinity in San Antonio for his engineering degree because the girl that did the orientation was so cute. The other option he considered was Baylor, because Baylor's student body is 65% female. Go figure ... !
As parents, we give them wings; let them fly.
Cheers - Jan