Monday, April 20, 2009

College Gitters

Yes, we've got the gotta chose a college in 10 days gitters. And, that's us, the parents.

We just found out today that the school my daughter really wants to attend awarded her less money than we had hoped. The reality that I'll never be able to retire -- and I'm getting tired -- is starting to hit home.

I had my children in my mid-30's. I didn't realize that would mean I would have to work until I died. I already have one child in college and this second one will drain our life's savings. And, we did save. We fore went vacations, cars, bigger houses, etc. to save for these college tuitions. The problem is we look rich compared to all the other folks who spent their money having a good time while we put it away for this rainy day.

I really love my daughter and I want her to be happy. So, tomorrow I'm calling the college financial aid office to enter my plea. I know going in I don't stand much of a chance, but I must try. I really want my daughter to attend this school, which is a very good fit for her.

That also brings up the fact that she didn't work as hard as she could have during her high school years - but neither did I, so who am I to point fingers?

I guess I'll be homeless when she finishes college, since my only option is to put my house up as colateral for loans to cover both her tuition and her brother's. Oh, well...

I won't need all that room - or will I? These kids had better get good jobs when they graduate coz there won't be room for them to live with us in our car.

No kidding!

No comments: