Thursday, April 16, 2009

Internet Happy Ending

I heard the most wonderful story today on the evening news.

A father and daughter separated over 30 years ago found each other thanks to Google. This is just one incident that shows how amazing is the power of Google and of search engines in general.

You can virtually find anyone or anything via your favorite search engine. I've been working with Internet technology since the early 1990's - in fact, one year ago I was awarded a patent for my pioneering work. And, frankly I'm not all that impressed with how things are going.

While there have been some major improvements to the technology we had 10 years ago when the web started to be used in earnest, the innovation I expected to see has been stunted by the need for profit by the business entities who now are driving this market segment.

Back in the early 1990's, Internet technology was being developed with government funding - hence the claim by Al Gore that he invented the Internet. That quote was taken out of context, but the point today is still valid... government works for the benefit of the people, while business works for the benefit of the stockholders.

So, I've got lot's of ideas about where the Internet should be headed and I'm not going to post them here because I haven't protected my intellectual property at this point. But, I intend to do so and then get started on taking the web to the next level... unfortunately, patents take about 8 years to get awarded. So, it may be awhile.

No comments: