Friday, June 13, 2008

Life's Too Short - Make the Most of It

Suddenly today, a well-known local and national news figure died - relatively young at 58. It's in these moments that you realize life is short and it could end at any time, without warning. It's always sad when someone dies at work without having the opportunity to prepare and make their peace with family, friends, and associates. Since I can't control when I'll die, I am going to make sure that whenever it happens, I am not leaving behind unfinished business.

Of course, I'm talking about the important business of life -- making sure family, friends, and associates know how I feel about them; making sure I leave with a few hard feelings about me as is possible; doing whatever I can while I'm here to make a difference in the lives of other people; etc. You get the idea. It's simple, simple.

I've passed the 50 mark and have important things left undone - such as making a new will, organizing my papers, disposing of all the junk I really don't need, writing my great American novel... oh yes, I've got at least one book in me.

In light of my new positive thinking philosophy, I have begun to visualize having these things done and being at peace (ready for the big one to hit without any regrets.) What about you?

No comments: