Sunday, June 15, 2008

Here's to Dad!

Today is Father's Day. My father passed away 12 years ago just shy of his 65 birthday. I am very lucky to still have my father-in-law, Stanley, who will be 87 in August. When my own Dad passed away, Stash told me not to despair, that he was now my father. So on this day devoted to fathers, I wanted to recognize these two men and the impact they each have had on me.

My own Dad, Bill, was a real character. He enjoyed life and lived it in an unorthodox way. Because he didn't care what other people thought of him, he was either very liked or very disliked. There wasn't much "gray" about Dad. He lived his life as it suited him. While this lifestyle wasn't always rewarding, Dad would have it no other way. He worked hard at maintaining his independent, free-wheeling ways. To me, he was a great Dad. We had a lot of fun together and he loved me unconditionally. From Dad I learned to be myself and to go after the things I want.

My father-in-law, Stanley, is a rock solid hard-working man who is devoted to his family. He is always there for his wife and four kids, their families, and his friends. He knows how to work hard -- he works with his hands -- and he plays just as hard. To me, he is a great Dad. And, he loves me as if I was one of his own children. From Stanley, I learned the value of family and I love his son dearly.

I am so very lucky to have two great Dads in my life; two larger than life kinda men. How blessed I am! As I think of how different these two men are, I'm struck by the fact that both are so outstanding -- and in completely different ways -- that they leave their mark on the people they know. I believe that is a sign of a life well lived.

No comments: