Saturday, October 27, 2012

Life is Short

Life is short - I've just been reminded, twice!

Two weeks ago my husband's younger brother, Bruce, died suddenly.  He was 56 years old.  We were not only in shock, but also completely unprepared for this life event.  The medical officials attributed death to a heart attack, but nothing was done to verify this was really the cause.  

Two weeks later, an old friend from high school, Chuck Richardson succumbed to ALS, an awful disease that he'd been fighting for a short while.  He was 57 years old.  I learned he was sick in May when he called and invited me to have dinner and catch-up.  He was reaching out to people who made good impacts on him, to talk while he could and to let them know how he felt about them.  I'm humbled to be included in that group of special people.

Benjamin Franklin said, "The only things certain in life are death and taxes." 

But, even if death is a certainty, how much can we really be prepared when it comes?

In my brother-in-law's case there was no warning, in fact he'd been working to improve his health and lifestyle over the summer.  Luckily, he left a will stating his wishes.  And, he was single without children.  But, this has been extremely hard on his elderly parents -- you never expect your child to go before you do!

Chuck did make time to touch base with those who were important to him.  He told me he'd come to peace with his illness and hoped his period of suffering would be short, which it turned out to be.  He also was single without children.  I mention this because early death is worse when children and dependents are involved.

I realize that I have nothing ready to help my family should I suddenly keel over.  While this fact is smacking me in the face, I've got to take care of my affairs.  Hopefully, I have plenty of time left on this Earth.  But, you never know.

Thanks to Bruce and Chuck for years of friendship and love.  You both are and will continue to be missed!  I intend to use your untimely deaths as a wake-up call and as the spark to ignite a fire under my butt and get my will and other important arrangements in order.  At least some good will have come from all this!

No comments: