Friday, June 12, 2009

Another Year

I celebrated my birthday this week. Of course, this was my time to reflect on getting older. Know what? It's not so bad.

For instance, I am now only one year away from being eligible to retire. I won't really be financially positioned to retire next year, but I will have the option. And, that is an attitude changer. Lord knows, I could use some attitude adjusting from time-to-time.

I'm also going into a quasi-empty nest situation this coming year - let's call it a trial run. Both kids will be off at college. My husband and I have experienced what this will be like during the past two summer when our offspring were working at summer camp and only came home occassionally from June to August. So, I know this won't be so bad. In fact, there were some positives... our water bills have shrunk, as have our grocery bills and there's much less laundry to do. We also go through much less toilet paper.

This year's milestone also finds me exercising and making a semi-serious attempt at eating better. (It's only a half way attempt because people keep taking me out to eat to celebrate - alas this too shall pass.) I've made up my mind that I must become more active or die. That's a true statement - I'm now getting too old to not take care of myself. I have no interest in cutting any years off my life. Hopefully I have not already done so.

So, this was my birthday and upon reflection, things are going well.

Seems like a very positive start to my new year.

No comments: