Saturday, October 25, 2008

The Total of A Person's Life


I went to an estate auction today - my daughter was asked to take pictures.

Estate sales I've been to before, but this was my first auction. As I meandered my way through the physical property remains of the deceased, it looked just like the things we had to dis guard when my father passed away. Fortunately, this ensured I wasn't tempted by much of what I saw there. But it does make you think about all the junk we amass during our lifetimes.

I really don't want to besmirch the deceased, but how much junk do you really need? There was so much of it -- and people were buying it. All I can say is I'm motivated to clean out my house and get back to basics. After all, when will I really need that thing-a-ma-jig again? (Although by some unwritten rule of the universe, it does seem that when you throw something away you do need it right away... )

Another thing that occurred to me while I spent my day at this auction was how complicated we make our lives. This person has 3 boats, 4 cars, 3 tractors, an RV and an airplane. Can one person really use that much transportation?

The property totaled 90+ acres - most of it farmland that was not being used. So, there was plenty of space to keep all this stuff. That's another unwritten law of the universe - the more space you have the more junk you will get to fill that space.

I hope the family got a good amount of revenue from today's proceedings. I left before it was over and there was still a lot of junk to get rid of... but people were still there buying it up so their personal space wouldn't go empty. After all, the universe wouldn't be happy if we let our space be clutter free.

(I think I'll go clean the basement. Maybe I should have an auction...)

No comments: