Thursday, September 25, 2008

Ode to Uncle Ray

My only uncle passed away yesterday.

I come from a small family. I once had two uncles and now I have none. Both of my uncles were very unique men. Quirky, smart guys. I thoroughly enjoyed them both while I had them.

Uncle Ray was the textbook Southerner. He was from Louisiana. His people landed in this country back in the 1600's. They came to America from the British Isles. Uncle Ray retired early due to a buy-out offer that was too good to turn down. He was 50 years old at the time. With all this sudden free time, Uncle Ray picked up his small family (Aunt Ruthie and Cousin Carl) and moved back to Bogalusa, LA. There, he took up living his dream - being a cattle rancher. By day, he tended the herd, built his dream house, gardened, fished, and hung out at the firehouse. By night, he did his family's genealogy. For many years, he compiled and published their lengthy existence in this country and the homeland. Much of his work was done before the Internet, so it was a painstaking labor of love.

Uncle Ray had a PH.D in Agriculture. He worked for the Department of Agriculture in Washington, DC. It was in the DC area that he met Aunt Ruthie - my side of the family. Uncle Ray was an Entomologist - he studied insects. I remember his huge bug collection at their house in Alexandria, VA. Lot's of large, medium and small bugs suspended via long pins in glass cases. I recall my initial reaction was to repel away, but a second look revealed the lush colors and sleek designs of the creations on display. Uncle Ray knew all their Latin names. It was pretty cool.

What I really liked about Uncle Ray was his keen intellect and his cantankerous nature. In other words, he was fantastic to argue with. Oh yes, Uncle Ray reveled in being ornery. We were usually on complete opposite sides of the issue or topic being discussed, but that only made the debate more lively. He never got mad, but he always looked for an opening to illustrate the point he wanted to make. And, if he could make you admit to his point, he'd kick up his heels and give a good ol' knee slap, with a big grin and twinkle in his eye. Uncle Ray liked to win arguments.

Uncle Ray fell victim to Alzheimer's. But, he kept his wit pretty much to the end. Aunt Ruthie took care of him at home up to the last month when he needed close medical attention. His last words - spoken nine days before he died - "how much longer will this last?"

My mother, brother and I will be heading to Louisiana to help send off Uncle Ray at his Fireman's funeral, Southern style. There's nothing more we can do, but comfort Aunt Ruthie and Cousin Carl. Uncle Ray is now at rest and getting ready to take on the greatest minds in history in some rambuncious endless debates. I can hear him now - laughing with glee at finding some seriously worthy opponents to take on in a battle of the minds.

No comments: