Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Happy Birthday Son

It's my son's birthday (September 17) and I must acknowledge it.

The day he was born was the happiest day of my life. I'd never experienced such a complete feeling of love as when he was put into my arms immediately after the delivery. He wasn't exactly beautiful - his head was cone shaped, earning him the short-lived nickname "Cornelus Conehead." I was lucky to be able to stay home with him until he was nine months old. These were the best days I ever spent. I lived on the baby's schedule. It was so peaceful. For the first few months, there wasn't even the sound of the TV in our house. We had what our friends in California termed "Baby Vision." That's when you sit and watch the baby, together.

(For my daughter's sake, I want to state here that we were also very happy when she was born two years later. But it was different, because we then had a toddler and things were less peaceful around the household at that point in time. It was a completely different experience, but one no less special. So don't pout! On your birthday, I'll tell your story. I promise.)

There are so many wonderful memories of my son (and daughter) growing up. I have truly been blessed by having them in my life. And, I continue to be so. It's different, but I really like the people my children are becoming.

Tomorrow my son turns 19. He'll be celebrating away at college where he's in his second year. I suspect he will have a pretty good day, and that makes me happy. So, Happy Birthday to my young man. And, don't do anything I wouldn't have done when I was a carefree student on my special day. (wink, wink)

No comments: