Saturday, August 9, 2008

Hey - It's Time to Get Over it! Race that is...

Okay, unless you have been in a coma, you know there's an election coming. A big one.

So, where will you be when history is made in November? Yes, either way that it turns out, this will go down in history as the first time a black man was the nominee of one of the major political parties.

To me this focus on race is very tiresome. I guess I first became aware that there were different races was when I was a child. As I grew, I was exposed to people of different religions, races, and creeds. Know what? I was taught that you judged a person by what they did and how they acted, not by their religion, race or creed.

I still believe this - with all my heart... I'm white. I'm female. I'm the product of a Jewish man and a gentile woman (married, in case you wondered). And, I experienced extreme prejudice because I was considered a half-breed and had a Jewish last name.

We had our house egged, our trees covered with toilet paper, the police were called any time our dog barked, and people mumbled things under their breath when we passed by. My mother told us this was their problem, not ours. And, I believed her with all my heart. Still do...

So, I understand what it's like to have people discriminate against you. But, I've never treated others (of any political party, religion, race or creed) with anything but respect. But, because I'm white I'm experiencing some things I really don't like or can tolerate - reverse discrimination and age discriminate (I'm 50 and female and white).

What is it? Human beings are so flawed that they need to have someone else to look down on to make themselves feel better about themselves? This is simply pitiful behavior. I don't plan on spending the last 30 years of my life apologizing for things I had no control over - being born white and for surviving into middle age. Sheesh. And, none of my ancestors owned slaves. We didn't come to American until the 1900's and 1920's. In fact, the Jewish side experienced extreme discrimination in the Warsaw getto - so please cut me some slack. Nobody helped my poor, uneducated, non-English speaking ancestors when they got off the boat at Ellis Island. They did it for themselves. And, there was a lot of prejudice against jews (still is) and Germans.

So, life is what you make of it. If you want to waste precious time complaining and waiting for someone to fix things for you - you won't get squat. It's that simple, simple. Wake up, get up, and do something to make things better - and while you're at it, make things better for all your brothers and sisters on Planet Earth.

Thank you very much.

No comments: