Sunday, June 21, 2020

Teleworking is the Great Equalizer

Like many, I’m working from home these days due to the Coronavirus pandemic. During the shutdown order, I started working a new job. so, six weeks into the new job, I've gotten to know my colleagues only via teleconference. And yesterday, I had a realization...

Teleconferencing is the great equalizer!

I've never met anyone in my new company in person, so my perception of them is what I see on the screen. Everyone is pretty much the same on the screen. I can't tell if they are tall or short, fat or skinny (because of camera angles, it's easy to set up the most flattering view). Of course, I can tell if they are young or old, but even that is subject to how the person wants to convey their image... and some folks don't bother to turn on their camera, so they remain a black screen with initials showing.

Even race is downplayed on a teleconference because we are so focused on the work at hand, we are sharing a common goal of getting the job done.

I know for certain my new colleagues most likely think I'm younger than my chronological age because even in person I project a younger image. I'm not very photogenic, but for some reason video likes me so that's a real plus too.

Even the background in our screen shot can be changed so you can hide the cubby hole you're using to setup your impromptu work from home space. 

Experts foresee teleconferencing and working remotely taking hold and replacing many office jobs. I'm fine with this becoming our new normal. I know employers are getting more work hours out of us since we're online instead of commuting. And, I am loving staying out of the horrendous traffic we have in our area. It's so much better for the environment too.

There is also a down side to teleworking, which you'd think is missing interactions with real people. But, I feel I'm getting plenty of people-time via our videoconferencing. It's not that. It's that not everyone has good network connectivity nor knows how to use the tools well.

I recently interviewed and hired multiple people for open positions. Most handled their video interview just fine, but some didn't. One person had such a weak connection, the session kept freezing-up and we had to reboot multiple times. This was very disruptive and to be honest, it left a negative feeling about this person's preparedness -  they should have setup in a place with good Internet access. We gave this person the benefit of the doubt and setup a second interview, and it was the same situation. Because I work in IT, this showed we couldn't depend on this person to do this job..

Another interviewee projected on the screen sideways and the image was heavily pixelated. I could not actually see what this person looked like, but looks were not what I needed to know. But again, not being able to properly use the teleconferencing tool made it clear this person was not technically savvy enough for the job.

It's a whole new way of working and I think it's going to be just fine. When the pandemic is past us and we're able to resume in-person meetings, I now I'll have no need to rush into the office.

But, I do plan a team luncheon so we can actually meet in person... I bet there will be some real surprises in store for us. :)

No comments: