Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Oh, Those Golden Years

I'm getting a lesson from my elderly mother and in-laws.  My 84 year old mother is hospitalized with acute bronchitis.  My 93 year old father-in-law is in the same hospital with congestive heart failure.  His 91 year old wife has dementia and keeps saying, "Why do they call these the golden years!"

It's not that our family is having to deal with all this at once, but that's not any fun, it's that everyone had been healthy up to now.  This really gives you pause about what it's like to be near the end of your life and how you'll act when faced with a serious health issue in advanced age.

My father-in-law is acting crazy, probably due to a combination of medicine, stress and being ancient.  My mother-in-law is constantly crying and asking where it's her husband.  My own mother is hepped up on steroids and other meds that she is beyond being on edge, and seems fixated on making sure everyone knows she had a DNR order.  Really!

Just got a call from the hospital that my father-in-law is agitated and someone needs to come stay with him.  After 4 days, we're all exhausted.  We are starting to see this won't just go away, but we could be in for a long ride.

So, is living longer really a blessing?  In times like these, it makes you wonder!

No comments: