Tuesday, January 1, 2013

2013 - Another New Year's Eve Crash (vs. Bash)

I'm not a fan of New Year's!

I admit it's partially sour grapes because we never go out on New Year's Eve and the same old is getting really old.  But, I also tend to get melancholic as I think about how many years have passed since...

...my youth - 2013 marks 40 years since I graduated from high school!  But, I only feel like I'm 45, so how can this be?

...my family was all together - I'm talking about grandparents, aunts and uncles who have passed on.  I never forget them and really feel their absence this time of the year.

...my Dad and I talked - the last time was hours before he passed away.  I still have the sound of those words locked away in my memory so I can recall it when I need to hear his voice again.

...my first New Year's Eve party when I was 15!  It was magical, and as we walked home it was snowing!  I felt so grown up that night!

...my best girlfriends and I were inseparable!  We keep in touch, but with long stretches between calls and the much too seldom visits.

...my love for my husband burned so hot it was unbearable to be apart.  We've entered that comfortable stage when sparks fly, but it takes more work.

...my children were small and we all celebrated New Year's Eve together!  Now, being in their early 20's, spending this special night with their parents is unthinkable, and I understand as I still remember what it was like to be their age.
I don't like being melancholic, but it's unavoidable because these things once meant so much to me, and they are past and not to be re-lived.  You don't realize when you are living your life how time will pass and things will change.  

I'm not afraid of the future, so the thought of a new year approaching isn't a negative.  In fact, I'd just like to keep going around the calendar without making such a big deal.

Probably, there are two ways to avoid going through this next December 31st.  Go to a party and be distracted, or go to bed early!

I never go to bed early!

No comments: