Saturday, April 26, 2008

Simplify - Get Rid of Your Junk!

Have you got too much stuff? I know I do. Why, I asked myself and I came up with some reasons, all of which don't hold much water...

One rationale is "I might need this again." Well, I've had most of those items for a long time and I haven't yet needed them. Solution - throw it away or donate it to a good cause.

Another answer is "it came from someone I loved." Okay, so what does having this thing do for that loved one? Even if they have passed on to a better place, I doubt if they realize I still have this thing of theirs. Solution - throw it away or donate it to a good cause.

Last reason I'll bore you with is "it's worth a lot of money." But, if it's not being used, it doesn't matter what it is worth. And, how do you know it's really worth anything anyway? Has it been appraised of late? Solution - throw it away or donate it to a good cause.

Why am I ranting about this topic? Because, "stuff" complicates our lives!

We need to manage all our "stuff" and that takes time and effort. Time and effort we should be putting to use doing more meaningful things, such as reading, hiking, talking to each other, being active in our communities, and relaxing.

If we value our lives by the amount of "stuff" we have, "stuff" that doesn't have any use or value for us (if we are honest with ourselves), then we are deceiving ourselves.

We also need bigger houses to hold all our "stuff" and since we work long hours to get more money to buy more "stuff," we don't have time or energy to enjoy our bigger houses and play with all our "stuff."

I, for one, want to get off this merry-go-round. I don't need all this "stuff" because it doesn't make me happy. It just frustrates me when I see it laying around in the basement or attic.

Solution - throw it away or donate it to a good cause.

No comments: